Sunday, September 22, 2013

Week 2 after Chemo 1

     So last Monday Beth called the Grand River Cancer Centre to talk to her oncology nurse about her mouth being so sore. In fact she was feeling bad enough that she started crying as she was on the phone and the nurse was very helpful as she ordered something for her called Magic Mouthwash. I picked it up after I got home from school, she tried it right away and could already feel it working within a couple of hours. Beth used it 5 times in all over the next two days and it brought some real relief and healing (though it took a couple more days for her mouth to get back to total normal).
     On Tuesday we got everybody together to get some family pictures taken. We did it in Mom & Dad's backyard and our friend Daryl was our photographer. It will take some time for him to get them ready for viewing but we know they'll look great. Then on Wednesday Beth went to get her hair cut shorter. It took some getting used to (Joel said she looked like Justin Bieber) but the consensus is that it's pretty cute.
     Thursday morning was a minor operation to have a port-a-cath inserted, a temporary/permanent IV site in her jugular vein, which will be used for drawing blood and infusing the chemotherapy (instead of using an intravenous line in her arm). She was given a relaxant along with local anesthetic and everything went smoothly. There are 2 dressings from the incisions - on the left side, just below her neck and just above her breast. Thursday afternoon we had supper coming from our friends the Wiseman's so had invited the kids to join us, and then my cousin Jim and his wife Carol also showed up with food! We've felt very blessed by the practical expressions of support we've received. Beth also had an appointment in the afternoon with a specialist because her calcium levels are high and it was great to have our friend Ellen drive and act as a second set of ears.
     Friday morning Beth really enjoyed being able to visit with her long-time friend Marg (they were in the same nursing class 36 years ago). On both Thursday and Friday evenings we went out to our church small groups and it was nice getting back together with these good folks, as we've shared life together the past 2 years.
     On the weekend we took off for a getaway to Niagara Falls. Beth had read Pierre Berton's book "Niagara" this summer and had been wanting to visit again. She was feeling good so we felt it would be the right time to do it. We got a fantastic room at the Marriot with an amazing view of the Falls. It rained most of Saturday but our room was cozy and we also went out shopping (don't tell anyone but we ended up buying 4 pairs of shoes!). We enjoyed a nice lunch at TGIFridays and a great supper at Milestones, both within walking distance. Sunday morning was a good breakfast buffet (included with the package) and then some paperwork - marking for me, genetic history forms for Beth in preparation for a genetic counselling appointment. Then we headed down to the Falls at Table Rock via a walkway from the hotel that goes right over to the incline rail car. We bought some fudge and a photo of the Falls, then walked up to Clifton Hill. Berton talks about the "Carnival" on the Canadian side of Niagara and it sure is obvious in that section of town. We had a long walk back to the car but the sun was out and we needed the exercise. All in all it was a wonderful weekend and Beth is looking forward to being a bit more active this week as she feels quite good. The community nurse will be by on Monday to change her port-a-cath dressings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time in Niagara. Glad things worked out for you. Hugs coming your way to both of you.