Thursday, July 7, 2011

Holidays - Week 1

     First week off of school but I ended up working in there for 3 of the days getting things cleaned up and reorganized. My soundtrack for that was 70's (mostly prog rock) music: Queen I and III (Sheer Heart Attack), Yes - The Yes Album & Going For the One, Elton John - Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy, Sparks - Kimono My House & Indiscreet, Genesis - Trick of the Tail, Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood.
      I walked back and forth to Fredrick St. Mall to watch 'Transformers 3' - in the end more for the exercise than the movie. Upped my weight at the gym too, so feeling a bit sore.
     I ended up at the doctor's again this week as I found quite a few spots/bite marks(?) on my legs and torso. We started washing sheets and clothes and checking for bugs but the doc said it was folliculitis (an inflammation/infection of hair follicles. We've both been putting on fucidin creme and it seems to be helping, although Beth got it too and hers seems to be spreading more, so she got an antibiotic to take.
     We went to Mom and Dad's for supper on Wednesday for Beth's birthday and amazingly the whole family could make it - it seems so rare these days when we can all sit down at a table together. Beth got more money towards a new bicycle, which she really needs to go buy. I guess I better take mine in for a tuneup. In other news, Beth taught me how to make lasagna this week.
      The neatest thing on the internet this week was responses to U2's show in Nashville - Bono invited a blind guitar player out of the audience at the end of the concert and sang along with him (then gave him his guitar!). Good review and comments on why so many of us find their music and concerts special/moving at The Rabbit Room.
      I began the book 'Violence Unveiled' but had to quit after 60 pages. It was recommended by Steve Bell as a very important book but I just found it to be too obscure/deep for me. Some of the sentences still made my head hurt after reading them 3 times. I've reclaimed my iPad from Beth and plan to read a number of books on it, starting with Brian McLaren's 'A New Kind of Christianity'.
     I have a friend going through a tough time the last couple of weeks and he requested I sing Randy Stonehill's 'Turning 30' to him (though he's turning 40, so I changed some of the words). I pulled it together pretty quickly (the internet is sure a great resource) and Beth came with me to his house to sing it to him today. It turned out pretty well I think.
      Other music listening this week: Jill Phillips - Nobody's Got It All Together, Josh Garrells - Love and War and the Sea In Between, Josh Ritter - So Runs the World Away

No comments: